DISTRICT CONSUMER FORUM COMPOSITION,JURISDICTION AND POWERS.
COMPOSITION OF DISTRICT FORUM.
- Section 10 of the consumer protection act describes about district forum.
- A District forum has to consist of
- A person who is or has been or is qualified to be a district judge ,to be nominated by the state government, to be its president
- Two other persons of eminence, in the field of education, trade and commerce.
Ambit: The provisions of this act covers goods as well as services. The goods are those which are manufactured or produced and sold to consumers through wholesalers and letters .The services are in the nature of transport ,telephone, electricity, housing, banking, insurance, medical treatment.
JURISDICTION OF DISTRICT CONSUMER FORUM.(section11)
A. Pecuniary jurisdiction
Subject to other provisions of this act,the district forum shall have jurisdiction to entertain complaint where the value of goods or services and the compensation,if any claimed doesn’t exceed rupees twenty lakhs
- Where the opposite part resides,
- Any of the opposite parties when there are more than one,with the permission of district forum
- The cause of action,wholly or in part arises.
POWERS OF DISTRICT FORUM
District consumer forum handles the case within the boundary of particular district.It can handle cases limited to particular district if some fault is there in the sale of goods or some adulterated product is sent then the consumer can go to particular district consumer forum and solve the complaint
Author: vedant bajaj,
symbiosis law school nagpur,Ballb 1st yr student